What the country is experiencing right now is rare. The Nigerian youths have been pushed to the wall so much that the only option they have left is to fight back. Police brutality has been going on for years now. Our calls for police reforms were ignored. We are continually brutalized and killed by the people charged with the responsibility to protect us.
But ENOUGH is ENOUGH. The youths have had enough, hence the #EndSARS campaign. The movement has gained a lot of international recognition. Every day, youths stomp the street for a peaceful protest seeking that The Special Anti-Robbery Squad (SARS) should be scrapped.
As the protest is going on, here are a few tips you should have in mind;
- Wear a mask. COVID19 is still hovering around us.
- Do not walk alone. There is strength in numbers.
- Your phones should be well charged. If not, go with a full power bank.
- Someone you trust should know your physical location as the protest moves.
- Always go with water and snacks. Some might be shared at the protest but always go with yours. You will definitely be fagged out.
- Have a handkerchief, scarf, or cap to cover your face in case they start throwing tear gas.
- Most importantly, go with a waist pouch or small bag to house all your essentials.
- Do not forget to write down important contacts like that of your mum, sibling, spouse, or lover in case you lose your phone or the battery dies. You can easily call them to come to pick you up.
Together we can win this #EndSARS campaign.